Careers at Secondmind
SVP of Engineering
Secondmind is seeking an experienced software development executive to lead and grow a dynamic, outcome-driven engineering team and execute against the company’s machine learning-fueled software-as-a-service (SaaS) application roadmap.
The Senior Vice President of Engineering will be responsible for developing and executing on overall technology vision, shaping technical strategy, and driving development execution to establish Secondmind as the leader in delivering practical, scalable SaaS solutions to the markets we serve.
This executive will work in tandem with the other members of the executive team as well as the research, product management and customer success teams to further define our application roadmap and deliver against it.
The right candidate will also have a track record of recruiting and developing exceptional engineering talent, designing high-performance development and delivery practices and organizational structures, and transforming applied machine learning research into repeatable and scalable SaaS products and solutions.
- Developing overall strategy and technology direction for the development of applications supporting the company’s solutions.
- Strategic planning for all product development, testing, release and production environment needs.
- Overseeing all activities of the development groups (machine learning, software engineering, data science, QA, Ops and delivery).
- Planning the overall architecture of our products, support infrastructure and day-to-day operations.
- Develop mid- to long-range technology strategy for both internal and SaaS-based solutions in multiple markets.
- Enhancing our agile methodology for the design, development, test and release of our products and features.
- Staying current and evaluating new technologies and practices in the machine learning and software-as-a-service domains, including current technologies, platforms, standards and methodologies.
- Recruiting, retaining and continuously developing an exceptional team of data science, machine learning and software development professionals.
- Ensuring knowledge sharing of engineering best practices across departments; and developing and monitoring technical standards to ensure adherence to them.
- Previous senior leadership roles in software product development and engineering for high growth companies
- Proven leadership of large-scale software engineering teams that have delivered great products on deadline
- Proven experience as a leader developing, deploying, and supporting software as a service / platform as a service solutions to global commercial enterprises.
- Working knowledge of machine learning requirements and operational challenges in designing performant, scalable SaaS products and solutions
- Proven ability to recruit top development talent and provide a compelling vision and working environment that develop world-class applications
- Institute compelling performance measurements that continually optimize development capacity and quality.
- Excellent communication skills, strong team player, and the ability to work cross functionally in a fast-paced, high-productivity startup environment
- Experience in Agile development methodology
- Experience in a multi-product, multi-application development environment
- Experience in managing and threading both mainstream development and R&D activities
- Experience in development with open source technologies
- B.S. in Computer Science, Management Information Systems or related engineering field
- 15+ years of software product engineering experience
- Experience in automotive, optimization, calibration or mechanical systems not required, but considered a plus
Founded in 2016 with a mission to enable better decision making, Secondmind is a world-class team of researchers, data scientists, engineers and product managers who apply years of award-winning, practical machine learning research to real-world problems.
We take pride in our diversity, valuing the experience and expertise that people from different backgrounds bring to our organisation. Our team of talented people from all over the globe is collaborative, innovative, ambitious, optimistic and curious.
Secondmind is based in Cambridge, UK, a global centre of AI and machine learning excellence, and backed by leading venture funds including Amadeus Capital, Atlantic Bridge, and Cambridge Innovation Capital, among others.
What we’ll offer you
- Competitive salary relative to experience
- Stock options
- Comprehensive benefits package
Please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.