Careers at Secondmind
Senior Software Engineer
Secondmind is the Optimization Engine for the software-defined vehicle. From reducing design simulation time and calibration overhead, to continuously improving energy efficiency and performance throughout the vehicle lifecycle, our cloud-native optimization solutions give engineers the tools and confidence to re-imagine the design, development and experience of driving, and accelerate the transition to carbon-neutral mobility. We exist to help automotive innovators design better cars faster, and achieve greater sustainability through machine learning.
About the role
You'll play a crucial role in a dynamic, agile team, which plays a part in driving the direction and design of our systems.
What could you be working on?
- Extending the functionality of the commercially licensed solutions by designing APIs, controlling computation infrastructure
- Ensuring the solution backend exposes data required by the user interface built by the frontend engineers
- Building and extending internal tooling to accelerate development
- Improving the quality of the code to ensure that development can continue at pace
What will you be responsible for?
- Specify, design and develop high quality software as part of an agile team
- Review designs and code done by colleagues and provide constructive feedback
- Collaborate closely with machine learning experts
- Work independently as a leading software engineer on a project
- Help improve our software development tools and processes
- Deliver projects against challenging deadlines
- Continuously develop your own engineering skills and help others to improve theirs
What skills, experience, and qualifications do you need to succeed in this role?
- Minimum 3 years of software development experience in a commercial environment
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- Proficiency in automotive engineering, specifically in areas like simulation development, system design, and software applications for testing, validation, or calibration
- Desire to be part of a hybrid working environment which includes in office attendance in our HQ in Cambridge
- Experience of python
- Deep understanding of an object oriented language
- Experience of designing REST APIs and building distributed systems
- Strong grasp of data structures and algorithms
- Knowledge of large scale distributed systems
- Knowledge of Docker and container orchestration systems, such as Kubernetes, as well as experience with cloud computing services, such as Amazon Web Services (AWS) or Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
- Knowledge or commercial experience of machine learning
Our culture / What we can offer you
We offer a working environment that is inclusive, stimulates innovation and continuous learning, and that thrives on growth and change.
Our culture is underpinned by our values; they are what we stand for, part of our DNA. They help us to attract and retain the right talent and customers, help us make the right decisions and clarify how we should all behave and treat one another, they are:
- Delight every customer (Customers)
- No bar too high (Excellence)
- Give more than take (Sustainability)
- Make the impossible, possible (Innovation)
- Celebrate differences, act as one (Inclusion)
In addition to a creative work environment that fosters innovation, we also offer a number of benefits including:
- Competitive salary
- Contributory Salary Sacrifice Pension Scheme
- 25 days annual leave, plus statutory bank holidays
- Hybrid working approach within the UK
- Stock Options scheme (where applicable)
- Private Medical Insurance
- Salary sacrifice electric bike-to-work scheme
- Cambridge Botanic Garden membership
- Social events, away days, game nights and sports groups
We are an equal opportunities employer, and aim to ensure all candidates are treated equally and fairly through the application process and beyond. We actively encourage applicants from under-represented backgrounds, and encourage our people to bring their authentic, original, and best selves to work. If you require assistance or an accommodation through the interview process due to a disability, to apply for one of our roles, please contact our HR team at: email@example.com.
The office is based in Central Cambridge, UK.
We offer a hybrid working environment, with a flexible work schedule to support a healthy work life balance within the UK.