Careers at Secondmind
Machine Learning Researcher
Secondmind exists to help automotive innovators design better cars faster and achieve greater sustainability through machine learning. We are driven by a desire to achieve sustainability in our operation and through the products we develop for our customers.
About the role
This is an exciting opportunity to join a team at the forefront of artificial intelligence and machine learning. Secondmind Labs consists of researchers and engineers that explore innovative ideas that can improve the state of the art in Probabilistic modelling and Bayesian optimization.
We work in highly collaborative research teams, developing algorithms that are theoretically rigorous, yet scalable to domains of real-world complexity, with the aim of publishing papers at leading machine learning conferences. In the past four years our team has published over 75 papers and filed 10 patents (check our papers on our website).
What will you be responsible for?
You will be expected to develop your own research program, with a view to developing new tools and techniques for probabilistic models, Bayesian optimization and related fields. You will actively engage in team collaborations to meet research goals and report your research findings both internally and externally.
You will also be expected to contribute to internal product development and customer research projects, assisting in the application of cutting-edge machine learning research to real world problems. Finally, this position is also an opportunity to take an active role in the development of our open source libraries (for example, Trieste, GPflow and GPflux).
What skills, experience, and qualifications do you need to succeed in this role?
We are open to applicants at all levels, from fresh PhD graduates to experienced team leads.
What we primarily look for is a good fit with the team, a researcher that we can easily see collaborating with and that will enrich our collective knowledge.
Essential skills and experience:
- A PhD in a technical field or an equivalent level of experience, having published work in machine learning, statistics, or optimization conferences and/or journals.
In addition, the following would be an advantage:
- A background in decision making (Bayesian optimization, bandits, reinforcement learning, active learning) and / or probabilistic modelling and methods (Gaussian processes, Bayesian neural networks, Variational inference, etc).
- Experience in numerical programming (Python/NumPy/Tensorflow/PyTorch).
- Experience or interest in applying machine learning to solve real world problems in projects which could relate to Secondmind’s customers.
- Keen to work as part of a team, to review documents and code, and to provide constructive feedback.
- A passion to continuously develop your own machine learning and research skills, and to help others to improve theirs.
Our culture / what we can offer you
We offer a working environment that is inclusive, stimulates innovation and continuous learning, and that thrives on growth and change.
Our culture is underpinned by our values; they are what we stand for, part of our DNA. They help us to attract and retain the right talent and customers, help us make the right decisions and clarify how we should all behave and treat one another, they are:
- Delight every customer (Customers)
- No bar too high (Excellence)
- Give more than take (Sustainability)
- Make the impossible, possible (Innovation)
- Celebrate differences, act as one (Inclusion)
In addition to a creative work environment that fosters innovation, we also offer a number of benefits including:
- Competitive salary
- Contributory Salary Sacrifice Pension Scheme
- 25 days annual leave, plus statutory bank holidays
- Hybrid working approach within the UK
- Stock Options scheme (where applicable)
- Private Medical Insurance
- Dental Cash Plan
- Salary sacrifice electric bike-to-work scheme
- Subsidised gym memberships
- Cambridge Botanic Garden membership
- Social events, away days, game nights and sports groups
We are an equal opportunities employer, and aim to ensure all candidates are treated equally and fairly through the application process and beyond. We actively encourage applicants from under-represented backgrounds, and encourage our people to bring their authentic, original, and best selves to work. If you require assistance or an accommodation through the interview process due to a disability, to apply for one of our roles, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The office is based in Central Cambridge, UK.
We offer a hybrid working environment, with a flexible work schedule to support a work life balance within the UK.
If you have any questions on the specifics of this role, please contact email@example.com